Skip to main content

U.S. Immigration Support is managed by a U.S. Law Firm. We are not affiliated with the United States government.

Green Card Replacement Application

Green Card Replacement Guide

Green Card Replacement Application Guide

The Green Card Replacement Application Guide was developed to help a United States permanent resident, also known as a Green Card holder, complete and file his or her own Green Card lost replacement application without the costly assistance of an immigration attorney. The application guide contains detailed filing instructions and all the required Green Card replacement application forms. The following guide includes instructions on how to check status of green card replacement, how to deal with stolen green card, how to cover the green card replacement fee and how to submit the application to USCIS.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

Green Card Replacement Guide Content

  • Overview of the Green Card replacement Application Process
  • What to do if your Green Card is lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed?
  • Green Card Replacement application instructions
  • How to remove the “Conditional Residence” status (temporary Green Card)
  • Submitting a Green Card Name Change
  • Learn About Expedited Green Card Replacement
  • How to Check Status of Green Card Replacement Application Already Submitted
  • Information on Green Card Replacement Fee and Forms
  • Eligibility Information
  • List of Required Documents
  • Information on Filing Fees
  • How to Remove “Conditional Residence” Status
  • How to Update Incorrect or Outdated Information
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • List of USCIS Offices Nationwide
  • Directory of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

Download Green Card Replacement Application Guide for more information

Do you have a Green Card issued between 1977 and 1989?

A proposed USCIS rule would require all United States permanent residents with a Green Card without an expiration date to apply for a new and updated Green Card. The old Green Cards issued between 1977 and 1989 with no expiration date (Form AR-3, AR-103 and I-151) will be valid until the USCIS sets a termination date for the cards. It is currently not required to update Green Cards without and expiration date. However, it is strongly recommended to do so to avoid being “Out of Status” when the rule takes effect. do you have a green card issued between 1977 and 1989.

If you lost your Green Card it should be replaced immediately. This is also true if your Green Card is stolen, mutilated, destroyed, becomes illegible, or if it contains incorrect or outdated information. Older versions such as: Form AR-3, Form I-151 and Form I-551 must be replaced by the new version. Individuals that have “Commuter Status” or are automatically being converted to permanent status should also replace their Green Cards.

Green Card Renewal is an important matter. Green Card holders (United States permanent residents) with expired Green Cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry into the United States if their green card is out of date. Therefore, it is vital to keep your proof of permanent resident status current and valid. If your Green Card was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your Green Card is expired, of it it is about to expire, you should renew your Green Card immediately.

You should order the Green Card Renewal Guide if one or more of the following applies to you:

  • Lost or Stolen Green Card: If your Green Card is lost or stolen, you should file for a replacement immediately.
  • Mutilated or Destroyed Green Card: If your Green Card is mutilated, destroyed or becomes illegible, you should request a replacement immediately.
  • Name Change: If you have recently changed your name due to marriage or any other reason, you need to request an Green Card update with the new name.
  • Incorrect or Outdated Information: If your Green Card contains incorrect or outdated information, you should update it immediately.
  • Green Card Not Received: Occasionally a Green Card is never received even though the application was approved and the Green Card issued by the USCIS. If you have already submitted a Green Card application, but did not receive it, there are certain procedures to follow to get a new one issued
  • Remove “Conditional Residence”: If your Green Card was issued less than 2 years ago, it might be a “conditional Green Card.”A conditional residence Green Cards is valid only for two years. Individuals holding expired conditional Green Cards are considered “Out of Status” and the USCIS may start removal proceedings such as deportation. The Green Card Replacement Application Guide contains filing instructions on how to remove the conditional residence and apply for an unconditional and permanent Green Card. We also offer a separate guide for Remove Conditions on Permanent Residence.
  • Green Card Renewal: Individuals with expired Green Cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry into the United States. It is vital to keep your proof of permanent residence current and valid. If your Green Card was issued over 10 years ago, there is an expiration date printed on the front of the card. You should check your Green Card and verify if it needs to be renewed. Download the Green Card Renewal Application Guide for additional information and for filling instructions.
  • Address Change: Permanent residents, or Green Card holders, are required by law to inform the USCIS of any Green Card address change. It is a misdemeanor to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change within 10 days. If you don’t need to make any changes to your Green Card, and only need to update your address, please download the Address Change application guide.

© 2024 U.S. IMMIGRATION SUPPORT - All Rights Reserved