Visa Renewal Guide
Holders of expired B-1 Business and B-2 Tourist visas cannot renew or extend their visas. There is no formal “visa renewal” applications at U.S. Embassies or Consulates. If your visitor visa is expired, you need to submit an application for a new B-1 or B-2 visa. Many applicants think they can easily renew or extend a U.S. visitor visa because they previously had a visa, however, this is not the case. A visa renewal or visa extension is considered a new visa application by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The same application procedures and requirements normally apply. However, some U.S. Embassies and Consulates have “Reuse and Reissuance Visa Procedures” which make it easier and faster to apply for a new visitor visa. Download the “Visa Renewal Application Guide” for complete instructions on how to apply for a new U.S. visa and learn more about Reuse and Reissuance Visa Procedures.
- Start Application Immediately
- Easy to Understand Instructions
- Apply Online or by Mail
- Pricing and Fee Information Included
- Checklist of Required Documents
- Unlimited Online Support
- Understanding the Visa Renewal Application Process
- B-1 Business Visa Eligibility Information
- B-2 Tourist Visa Eligibility Information
- How to complete the Visa Renewal Application Forms
- Do I need to complete form DS-160 for Visa Renewals?
- Learn if a Visa Interview is Required for Visa Renewals
- Information on Reuse and Re-issuance Visa Procedures
Important / Warning
- How to enter the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program
- Advantages of Visa Waiver Program
- List of Required Documents for U.S. Visa Renewal
- Information on Filing Fees
- Visa Renewal Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- List of USCIS Offices Nationwide
- Directory of U.S. Embassies and Consulates
- Information on how to obtain the latest United States immigration forms
Download Visa Renewal Guide for more information
Visa Renewal Eligibility and Requirements:
Anyone who has previously held a valid, or has a visa which is about to expire, has the right to apply for a new United States visitor visa. There is no specific visa renewal process, you need to submit a new visa application. However, some U.S. Embassies and Consulates have special expedited procedures available for applicants who have previously held a U.S. visa or have a visa which is about to expire. This process is sometimes called “Reuse and Reissuance Visa Procedures”. One of main advantages of visa renewals is that the applicant may not be required to appear at a visa interview, especially if the individual has had a U.S. visa for several years, has traveled in and out of the United States multiple times, and has never overstayed his/her stay in the United States.
Can I travel with a valid visa in an expired passport?
Unless previously canceled, a visa is valid until its expiration date. Therefore, if you have a valid U.S. visitor visa in an expired passport, you may use it along with a new, valid passport for travel and admission to the United States. Download the “Visa Renewal Application Guide” for complete instructions on how to apply for a new U.S. visa, renew an expired visa and traveling with a valid visa in an expired passport.