Skip to main content

U.S. Immigration Support is managed by a U.S. Law Firm. We are not affiliated with the United States government.

Green Card Renewal Application Guide

Application for Renewal of Green Card

Green Card Renewal Guide

Green Card Renewal Application Guide was developed to help a United States permanent resident (Green Card holder) complete and file his or her own Green Card renewal application without the costly assistance of an immigration attorney. The application guide contains detailed filing instructions and all the required Green Card renewal documents. This step-by-step-guide will help you submit your Green Card Renewal application as efficiently and quickly as possible.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

Green Card Renewal Content

  • Overview of the Green Card Renewal Application Process
  • Application Procedures for Green Card Renewal
  • Submitting a Green Card Name Change
  • Learn About Expedited Green Card Renewal
  • Learn what to do if you did not receive your Green Card from USCIS
  • How to Update Incorrect or Outdated Information
  • Green Card Renewal Fees
  • Green Card Renewal Documents
  • How to Remove “Conditional Residence” Status on Marriage and Investment Applications
  • Eligibility Information
  • List of Required Documents
  • Information on Filing Fees
  • Information on Application Denial
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • List of USCIS Offices Nationwide
  • Directory of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

Download Green Card Renewal Application Guide for more information

Do you have a Green Card issued between 1977 and 1989?

A proposed USCIS rule would require all United States permanent residents with a Green Card without an expiration date to apply for a new and updated Green Card. The old Green Cards issued between 1977 and 1989 with no expiration date (Form AR-3, AR-103 and I-151) will be valid until the USCIS sets a termination date for the cards. It is currently not required to update Green Cards without and expiration date. However, it is strongly recommended to do so to avoid being “Out of Status” when the rule takes effect. do you have a green card issued between 1977 and 1989.

If you lost your Green Card you should replace Green Card immediately. This is also true if your Green Card is stolen, mutilated, destroyed, becomes illegible, or if it contains incorrect or outdated information. Older versions such as: Form AR-3, Form I-151 and Form I-551 must be replaced by the new version. Individuals that have “Commuter Status” or are automatically being converted to permanent status should also replace their Green Cards.

Green Card Renewal is an important matter. Green Card holders (United States permanent residents) with expired Green Cards may be considered “out of status” and may be denied entry into the United States if their green card is out of date. Therefore, it is vital to keep your proof of permanent resident status current and valid. If your Green Card was issued over 10 years ago, you should check the expiration date printed on the front of the card. If your Green Card is expired, of it it is about to expire, you should renew your Green Card immediately.

You should order the Green Card Renewal Guide if one or more of the following applies to you:

  • Expired Green Card: If your Green Card is expired, you should submit your application immediately.
  • Green Card Within 6 Months of Expiration : If your Green Card is going to expire within 6 months, you should submit your application immediately. Backlog at USCIS offices may delay the issuance of your new Green Card. Early submission for Green Card renewal is highly recommended.
  • Older Green Card Versions: The United States Permanent Resident Card commonly knows as a “Green Card,” has had several different versions and official names over the years, such as: Form AR-3, Form I-151 and Form I-551. If you hold any of these cards, you should renew your Green Card and obtain the new version.
  • Green Card with No Expiration Date: It is not mandatory to renew your current Green Card if it does not have an expiration date, but due to proposed USCIS legislation, it is strongly recommended.

Other Green Card Issues:

  • Lost or Stolen Green Card: If your Green Card is lost or stolen, you should file for a replacement immediately.
  • Mutilated or Destroyed Green Card: If your Green Card is mutilated, destroyed or becomes illegible, you should request a replacement immediately.
  • Name Change: If you have recently changed your name due to marriage or any other reason, you need to request an updated Green Card with the new name.
  • Incorrect or Outdated Information: If your Green Card contains incorrect or outdated information, you should update Green Card information immediately.
  • Green Card Not Received: Occasionally a Green Card is never received even though the application was approved and the Green Card issued by the USCIS. If you have already submitted a Green Card application, but did not receive it, there are certain procedures to follow to get a new one issued. The Green Card Replacement Application Guide describes how to request a new Green Card.
  • Remove “Conditional Residence”: If your Green Card was issued less than 2 years ago, it might be a “conditional Green Card”. Conditional residence Green Cards are valid for two years. Individuals holding expired conditional Green Cards are considered “Out of Status” and the USCIS may start removal of Green Card proceedings or deportation. The Green Card Replacement Application Guide contains filing instructions on how to remove conditional resident status and apply for an unconditional and permanent Green Card.
  • Address Change: Permanent residents (Green Card holders) are required by law to inform the USCIS of any address change. It is a misdemeanor to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change within 10 days. If you don’t need to make any changes to your Green Card, but only need to update your address, please download the Address Change application guide.

© 2024 U.S. IMMIGRATION SUPPORT - All Rights Reserved