Skip to main content

U.S. Immigration Support is managed by a U.S. Law Firm. We are not affiliated with the United States government.

Thousands of Applications Approved!

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

Green Card Updates (including Name Changes)

The Green Card Updates Application Guide was developed to help a permanent United States resident (Green Card holder) complete and file his or her own Green Card renewal, replacement, and update forms without the costly assistance of an immigration attorney. The application guide contains everything you need in order to properly update your Green Card, change the name on your Green Card, and how to correct any incorrect information.

  • Start Application Immediately
  • Easy to Understand Instructions
  • Apply Online or by Mail
  • Pricing and Fee Information Included
  • Checklist of Required Documents
  • Unlimited Online Support

What’s included

  • Overview of Green Card updates and changes
  • How to update your Green Card due to a name change (Green Card name change)
  • How to change biographic data on your Green Card
  • How to update your Green Card due to incorrect or incomplete information
  • How to remove the “Conditional Residence” status (temporary Green Card)
  • How to Check the Status of a Green Card Renewal Application Already Submitted
  • Eligibility Information
  • List of Required Documents
  • Information on Filing Fees
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
  • List of USCIS Offices Nationwide
  • Directory of U.S. Embassies and Consulates

A foreign national who wants to live and work permanently in the United States must first become a permanent resident (Green Card holder). One of the most common ways of obtaining a Green Card (U.S. permanent resident status) is through a relative who is already a U.S. permanent resident. Spouses and children of permanent residents qualify for green card status if they meet the required criteria and their permanent resident relatives are willing to act as their sponsors. In the Green Card through Permanent Resident Relative Application Guide you will learn how to apply for a Green Card through your Green Card holder relative.

Do you have a Green Card issued between 1977 and 1989?

A proposed USCIS rule would require all United States permanent residents with a Green Card without an expiration date to apply for a new and updated Green Card. The old Green Cards issued between 1977 and 1989 with no expiration date (Form AR-3, AR-103 and I-151) will be valid until the USCIS sets a termination date for the cards. It is currently not required to update Green Cards without and expiration date. However, it is strongly recommended to do so to avoid being “Out of Status” when the rule takes effect. do you have a green card issued between 1977 and 1989.

Download the Green Card Renewal Guide and apply for your new Green Card today.

Download Green Card Updates (including Name Changes) Guide for more information

If you lost your Green Card it should be replaced immediately. This is also true if your Green Card is stolen, mutilated, destroyed, becomes illegible, or if it contains incorrect or outdated information. Older versions such as: Form AR-3, Form I-151 and Form I-551 must be replaced by the new version. Individuals that have “Commuter Status” or are automatically being converted to permanent status should also replace their Green Cards. Learn More About Green Card Replacement

It is vital to keep your proof of permanent residence in the United States current and up-to-date. This is particularly important when a Green Card holder changes their name due to marriage or for other personal reasons. A name change requires the Green Card to be replaced and updated as soon as possible. Several documents must be submitted in order to update the name on the Green Card. There may be other reasons why a permanent resident may need to update and change their Green Card. For example, a Green Card may be issued with incorrect or incomplete information. If your Green Card has incorrect or incomplete information, you must update it immediately. Download the Green Card Update Application Guide and submit your application today.

You should download the Green Card Updates Application Guide if one or more of the following applies to you:

  • Name Change: If you have recently changed your name due to marriage or any other reason.
  • Incorrect or Outdated Information: If your Green Card contains incorrect or outdated information.

Other Green Card Issues:

  • Lost, Stolen, Mutilated, Destroyed or Ineligible Green Card: You should file for a replacement immediately.
  • Green Card Not Received: Occasionally a Green Card is never received even though the application was approved and the Green Card issued by the USCIS. If you have already submitted a Green Card application, but did not receive it, there are certain procedures to follow to get a new one issued. The Green Card Replacement Application Guide describes how to request a new Green Card.
  • Remove “Conditional Residence”: If your Green Card was issued less than 2 years ago, it might be a “Conditional Green Card.” A conditional residence Green Card is only valid for two years, and individuals holding expired conditional Green Cards are considered “Out of Status” and the USCIS may start removal proceedings (deportation). The Green Card Replacement Application Guide contains filing instructions on how to remove the conditional residence and apply for an unconditional and permanent Green Card.
  • Address Change: Permanent Residents (Green Card holders) are required by law to inform the USCIS of any address change. It is a misdemeanor to willfully fail to provide the USCIS with a written notice of address change within 10 days. If you don’t need to make any changes to your Green Card, and only need to update your address, please download the Address Change application guide.
  • Expired Green Card: If your Green Card is expired or is going to expire within 6 months, you should submit your Green Card Renewal application immediately.

© 2024 U.S. IMMIGRATION SUPPORT - All Rights Reserved